Xperia X10 Android update in September, along with multitouch?

by X10 on April 16, 2010

in Firmware, News, Problems

Xperia X10The Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 will be seeing an Android update in September according to a SE rep speaking at a press event for the phone. The employee said that a “very big update” was due in September, without citing exactly what this will entail (Android 2.1 or a newer Android flavour).

Somewhat curiously the rep also said that the multitouch limitations are not hardware related and will be addressed at a similar time as the Android update. This is strange since Sony Ericsson employees on the SE Product Blog have previously said the lack of multitouch was a hardware issue. Hopefully, all should reveal itself in the not too distant future.

Update: Rikard Skogberg from the SE Product Blog has commented on the multitouch issue and said that “as far as I know there’s nothing new and it’s not true.”

Via Mobiles Blog [via Engadget].

Thanks Kuba!

1 Bilal Akgündüz April 16, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Thanx for happy news 🙂

2 sean April 17, 2010 at 2:39 AM

My X10, got it yesterday showed multitouch in the google maps, I am sure it is absolutely going to work in future updates. Love everything about the phone as it is !!

3 HAZ April 17, 2010 at 3:46 AM

Beautiful, thanks 🙂

4 damyan April 17, 2010 at 3:17 PM

Great phone, will buy it next week!

5 Com2uS April 17, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Rikard Skogberg says:
April 17, 2010 at 11:19 am

Hi all.
I think we’ve made it quite clear regarding lack of multi touch already. Don’t know where that Engadget thing comes from but as far as I know there’s nothing new and it’s not true.

——-via SonyEricsson Product Blog

6 Adam April 18, 2010 at 2:38 AM

Man that sucks…but I love it nevertheless, but it would be amazingly awesome if it were true.

7 lkelemen April 19, 2010 at 12:28 PM

pinch zooming in google maps works for me too. only for zooming in, not for zooming out.

8 martin April 19, 2010 at 10:10 PM

the x10 really needs a update sorry to say it but 1.6 is slow

9 laura April 20, 2010 at 7:40 AM

Ok this is weird but pinch zooming is also kinda working on my map…isnt working too well but it is zooming in at times. I got my phone today and I have not been able to put it down. It sure beats out my dads iphone, my sisters bb curve, and my bf’s milestone/droid. The x10 is a great phone that has been working flawlessly, except it switches over to 3g randomly when Im at home on my wi fi. Anyone know why?

10 Janne April 20, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Laura, as a guess your wifi connection is a little flaky and occasionally drops the connection. I know mine does. The phone automatically switches to 3g
instead. You can change that behavior in the advanced wifi settings.

11 Dave April 23, 2010 at 4:30 PM

So, I’ve got a question: I’m looking at getting the X10, but I’m reading a lot about the updated Android OS coming out at sometime in the coming months (I’m under the impression this will auto-update). I’ve also seen a lot of talk about the possible hardware update, allowing for multitouch. Here’s my question. Should I wait until the release to buy the phone, or should I get it now and hope it’s just a software issue that will auto-update?