Google Maps Navigation hits UK Xperia X10’s

by X10 on April 21, 2010

in Applications, Firmware, GPS, News

Google Maps NavigationUK owners of the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 awoke to a special present from Google this morning. The company has made available its turn-by-turn Google Maps Navigation (with voice directions) application to the UK from today. Up until now it has only been available in the United States, so today’s release will hopefully see Google Maps Navigation release across other European regions shortly too.

Whilst initially only for Android 2.0+ devices, Google has also made Navigation available to those with Android 1.6 smartphones too. I can confirm that the UK Xperia X10 works right now, therefore no need to wait for the big update. To get it make sure you’re running the latest 4.1.1 Beta, if you can’t see it, restart the handset. Check it out now.

1 metalgeargeek93 April 21, 2010 at 7:49 PM

this isn’t what we need android 2.2 because 1.6 lags as hell and im going crazy

2 Iglesias April 22, 2010 at 1:28 AM

I actually discovered it last night randomly which I thought was weird as only the US had it. and then I got really excited. I wish it could navigate in street view too. that would be awesome. But it works well enough with my X10. No real problems.

3 jack April 22, 2010 at 5:59 PM

how do you access street view in this.. ?

4 Iglesias April 23, 2010 at 12:18 AM

Hi Jack. I have no idea. I think google are still working on it for Android UK. I heard you could access street view in the US but as it was just only released in the UK, I think it might take sometime or maybe a little time for google to implement it onto the UK Google Maps. I can’t wait, that will be just awesome !

5 Richard Bannister April 23, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Gonna sound daft here but when you say restart do you mean doing a factory reset or just turning it off and back on again?

6 X10 April 23, 2010 at 8:11 PM

@Richard – A simple turn on/off should do the trick!

7 Gurneet April 24, 2010 at 7:18 AM

its not out in canada, well i couldnt get it to work, any ideas on how to make it work ?

8 Richard Bannister April 24, 2010 at 7:39 PM

How do you access the turn by turn voice navigation in google maps? I’ve done the turn off and back on but it’s not there? Help!! Oh, is it free?

9 Iglesias April 24, 2010 at 9:43 PM

@ Richard Bannister

Google maps uses gps, a-gps (optional) and data whether wifi or 3g, so unless you have a data plan, it’s not free. You see the thing is, You don’t have to download maps for Google maps, it accesses the internet to get them as you go or search for a place. Accessing Google maps is simple. Find a location you want to navigate to. Go to find or search, put in an address and then click on the address, it will show u on the map and a little box will pop up over the location on the map, click that box and it will give u options such as navigation which is the second one out of four, it has a little arrow symbol on it, and the fourth being street view etc. just click on the navigation and it’ll start google navigation. let me know if it works for you

10 X10 April 25, 2010 at 8:13 PM

Turn-by-turn is free (assuming you have a data contract). Make sure you are running Google Maps version 4.1.1.

If you’re not (and the on/off trick isn’t working) try installing Google Maps again from the Android market.

11 Richard Bannister April 26, 2010 at 6:40 AM

Thanks for th excellent reply Iglesias.

12 Luc April 26, 2010 at 10:22 AM

I must say that I initially overreacted to the fact that X10 is on 1.6 . I had tried to re-install all my normal apps I was using on the G1 and couldn’t find some of them, then assume the problem was due to the old OS on the X10… but after a few days the apps were available again and so was able to install everything. I have zero problem with the X10 now. And I hear 2.1 is not without it little bugs anyway. Happy to wait a bit for 2.1 on X10…. but not for ever! I hear it will be ready by end of June.

13 Iglesias April 26, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Excellent is my middle name 😀

@ Luc. I think there was just an issue with the market for a day or 2. I was having the same problem. About 1.6 and 2.1. There are a few main advantages to having 2.1. Firstly 1.6 does not support flash. and having 2.1 will give the X10 16m colours. So I can wait for a bit too but not too long. And after I debranded my X10 with the latest firmware. I’ve had no issues. Infact, it’s working at it’s best. 🙂

14 Richard Bannister April 28, 2010 at 7:52 AM

@ Inglesias, it worked, with full voice prompts too. It even popped up with a streetview photo of the address I was driving to when I arrived which was a nice touch. Biggest drawback I can see is using it outside of the country the phone was bought in due to high roaming data charges?

15 Richard Bannister June 1, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Can anyone confirm whether my theory about using the google maps sat nav outside of the country of origin is correct? I’m driving to The Netherlands on Friday and would quite like to test it out if possible. Obviously if I would run up a small fortune whilst roaming I won’t. Any ideas/opinions greatly appreciated, cheers.

16 davieG August 4, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Hi, I’m new to the Sony Xperia X10, forgive my complete ignorance but how do I get hold of this google maps /sat nav application?
My phone only seems to have the subscription based Wisepilot.

A novice description would be very help.

Thanks and regards

17 Tom August 4, 2010 at 5:01 PM

davieG,

Just go to the market and download the latest google maps app. It’ll install navigation too.

18 kirstyoshear August 29, 2010 at 10:47 PM

Hi guys,

I’m not on any contract plan with my x10 it’s just Pay as u go…so for me to use the maps without costing a fortune, is there any way to just download maps???
Thanks for any replies

19 anjula February 1, 2011 at 12:31 AM

hi guys
can anyone help me the voice on my google maps dont work anymore
on my x10 pro
it did work fine then just packed up i’ve been looking for agers
how to try and make it work again but come up with nothing
its so annoying when i’m trying to drive and unsafe keep trying to look
instead of it talking to me