Xperia X10 gets rooted, this time with proof and benchmarks

by X10 on June 23, 2010

in Applications, Firmware, News

Xperia X10 gets rootedJust over a month ago we reported on the good news that the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 had been rooted using SETool. This joy was short-lived as accusations flew around that the root was fake, mainly due to a lack of evidence.

Well for all those worried that we may never see root access on the Xperia X10, good news has appeared from xda-developers. A number of coders are reporting that they have achieved root access, but this time with all-important photo confirmation.

The root was achieved by jerpelea, biktor_gj and bin4ry. Information is limited right now and they are promising more details shortly. What we do know is that they have been able to remount the system partition, enabling them to get rid of Sony Ericsson’s Mediascape and Timescape applications along with Moxier and others. You can see the difference this makes to performance by checking out the benchmarks below.

Xperia X10 gets rooted

This is the first production phone to be rooted and the guys behind the root are looking for a “good way to get it to you all,” but that it will only be released when it’s ready. Personally speaking, we can wait as long as we know that it is coming for sure. That isn’t something we could confidently say before today. Check out the photos of the Xperia X10 in root action below.

Xperia X10 root in pictures

Xperia X10 gets rooted

Xperia X10 gets rooted

Xperia X10 gets rooted

Look, no Timescape and Mediascape on the Xperia X10!

Xperia X10 gets rooted

Xperia X10 gets rooted

Xperia X10 gets rooted

Via xda-developers (1, 2, 3 and 4).

Thanks nekkidtruth!

1 uHuRu June 23, 2010 at 12:03 PM

This is great news. Also shows how incompetent SE is.

2 Gull June 23, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Great news

3 Janne June 23, 2010 at 12:57 PM

“Also shows how incompetent SE is.”

That has got to be the dumbest comment in a while, and there’s some whoppers out there to compete with it.

4 Andy June 23, 2010 at 1:19 PM

This is fantastic! At last poxy moxier can be removed!

5 James June 23, 2010 at 1:36 PM

What is the bar at the bottom of the screenies called?

6 ///MEDO June 23, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Finaly Xperia X10 is Rooted
Im So Excited
My Hands are shaking

7 Marazao June 23, 2010 at 3:50 PM

This sound stupid but…. can we still upgrade to 2.1 or 2.1 even if our deice is rooted?

8 Marazao June 23, 2010 at 3:51 PM

2.2* sorry

9 Sugi June 23, 2010 at 3:51 PM

well…
after rooted can Xperia Use Froyo?

10 X10 June 23, 2010 at 3:56 PM

The coders have said that you will be able to revert back to the SEUS update if needed.

Once rooted we will be able to install custom ROMs, so yes, that includes Android 2.2 (Froyo) without worrying about when SE gets round to doing it (if they plan to at all!)

11 sorehammer June 23, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Little bit dim here but what is rooted then

12 yasser June 23, 2010 at 4:58 PM

sounds Great 🙂

13 Irf June 23, 2010 at 5:10 PM

WOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D

This just made my day!

14 X10 June 23, 2010 at 5:22 PM

@sorehammer – For those wondering what root access will bring to your Xperia X10, then the answer is full control over your handset including the ability to load custom ROMs, relocate apps onto your memory card, complete backup of the phone as well as being able to run some special apps designed for rooted handsets.

15 Remi June 23, 2010 at 5:36 PM

YEAHHHHH, FINALLY!!! YOU MAKE MY DAY!! Hope it come’s fast, and then we will upgrade to 2.2!! (WITH FLASH!!) ohhh YEAH!

16 sorehammer June 23, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Cheers bring on the flash then 🙂

17 Obasan June 23, 2010 at 6:38 PM

whats FS mean

18 X10 June 23, 2010 at 6:47 PM

File System

19 Pablo iacovou June 23, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Great news. Now IF we get 2.1 or even 2.2. Are we going to be able to use the LED flash with the root?

20 Adam June 23, 2010 at 7:06 PM

I was wondering if this will apply to the X10 mini as well? I really want to load Android 2.2

21 Shukla June 23, 2010 at 10:48 PM

I was wondering if you rooted your phone and put in a custom 2.2 froyo firmware, would it result in a loss of functionality, because some of the phone’s hardware might need a certain SE app?
Or is it possible to to upgrade your phone to Android 2.2 froyo and still keep some of SE’s own apps?

Also with a rooted phone, does that mean we can add multitouch?

Sorry for my many questions, I’m just really new to all this android rooting stuff, and i love to hack all my devices, so I’m just trying to learn 😛

Thank you for your time!

22 nekkidtruth June 24, 2010 at 3:14 AM

@Shukla,

It’s POSSIBLE to lose some functionality. It’s generally due to drivers. If there aren’t updated drivers for said hardware within Android, it could very well not function.

You can’t add multi-touch to a device who’s hardware doesn’t have multi-touch capabilities. Although it’s still debated (I’m not sure why to be honest), Sony has officially let us know that the hardware is NOT capable of multi-touch. This was apparently verified by someone who checked the manufacturer of the screen and found it to be true. You never know though, both Sony and the manufacturer could be lying.

Hope that helps you out some.

23 adam June 24, 2010 at 9:45 AM

The X10 Mini screen is apparantly multi-touch capable…

24 tejagamer June 24, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Hmm.
So what about the X10 mini.
I bought one last week.
it was really good…
Can it be rooted..

25 THE ASSASSIN June 25, 2010 at 12:37 AM

They just changed the whole game by doing this!!! I doubt Somy will even care about releasing 2,2 now!!!! Oh well!!! Lolol

26 Mark June 25, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Tey say the screen is not capable of muti touch, but I beleive it is.

I recently upgraded my phone on contract and got the HTC HD2 (as you know this is multi touch) but due to quibbles with the OS (M$) I took it back and got the Xperia X10 (which is a beautiful phone)

I noticed on the HD2 if you catch sunlight on the screen it has dots on there arrande about 3-4mm from each other, these are obviously the sensors for where your touching and so the phone can detirmine what your doing.

If you look carefully, the X10 has the same layout of these dots, so does look like it is multitouch capable, Sony are probably saying its not just to avoid the whole Apple vs HTC thing thats going on at the moment…

Also, on a side note, how the hell can you paitent multitouch, it just shows what kind of company Apple is.

27 Sahand J. S. June 25, 2010 at 11:45 AM

@Mark.. Dear Dude, my old SE P1 has the kind of “dots” you’re talking about.. I read from SweDroid that the X10 has a ClearPad 1000 digitizer from Synaptics, whereas, Desire and N1 probably have a ClearPad 2000.. Single- vs Dual-touch

28 Mo June 25, 2010 at 12:59 PM

is there a way to get voice recorder for xperia x10 is not active .

29 Mike June 28, 2010 at 6:04 AM

@Mo
Yes, infact there are many apps for voice recording on the xpeeria x10, all you need is the android marketplace…
I have a question of my own, is there a way to stay he the firmware we are currently at and still root market enabler?

30 jess August 8, 2010 at 11:31 AM

I am new to SE Xperia X10. I love the phone. EVEN though I am not enjoying being patient in learning how to use it. lol. It’s a very in-depth mobile. People are throwing around the term “rooting” I am weirded out by this……. What is it and do I need to do it?
I also want to know if I can use my own message tone or if I can only use the ones provided.. I need help… I just hope you don’t think that I am stupid. I am just sleep deprived. 🙂

31 Nebu Mathew Joseph August 8, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Hi, I. Recently bought my xperia mini x10. I was soo disapointed that it cannot transfer files using bluetooth. I recently heard that when an upgrade comes it is gonna be alright. Will that upgrade come soon?:-/

32 Nelson Nguyen December 9, 2010 at 7:09 AM

Can someone list the the known bugs/glitches for this root?

33 Doode March 8, 2011 at 3:32 PM

I rooted my x10. How do I access the new functionality? I want to remove skype and poxie mailer

34 Siddharth Khanna April 19, 2011 at 4:17 PM

will it really remove mediascape n timescape……..plz reply here or on my mAIL…….PLZ….my male is sidkhanna64@gmail.com

35 Jeanette July 3, 2016 at 2:15 AM

Now that’s sulteb! Great to hear from you.

36 bearbeitungsgebühr kredit autokauf February 12, 2017 at 5:11 PM

Sadly, we are that ignorant and brainwashed by a complicit MSM.Tyrannical reigns may not last forever, but they can last several lifetimes. Unlike past limits on the power of tyrannies, this time the world may not survive to learn from its mistakes.