R2BA020 Xperia X10 firmware rolling out, our first impressions

by X10 on June 27, 2010

in Applications, Firmware, Hands On, Imaging, News, Video

R2BA020 Xperia X10 firmwareThe much awaited firmware update for the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 looks like it is slowly starting to roll out. After rumours of hearing about the ‘R2BA013’ and ‘R2BA016’ firmware updates, the one actually being released is ‘R2BA020’. The most up to date Xperia X10 firmware prior to this release was R1FB001.

This update has brought with it a number of improvements including small UI changes in the Timescape/Mediascape apps, a new slide animation when browsing the gallery as well as a performance and battery life boost. Sony Ericsson has also included a ‘Backup and Restore’ application that was much needed. However, the much talked about Creatouch app remains absent in this firmware update, you’ll have to download this directly from PlayNow as before.

As of writing, only branded firmware updates have been released thus far, one from Telenor (Sweden) and the other from O2 Germany. We’ve included both in our debranding tutorial for download. Just for reference we moved straight from R1FB001 to R2BA020 without any problems. Below, we walk through our preliminary impressions of this new update.

Video impressions of ‘R2BA020’ Xperia X10 firmware update

R2BA020 Xperia X10 firmware thoughts

There are two branded updates that you can download right now (check out the debrand tutorial for the download links). We tested both the R2BA020 Telenor update along with that of O2 Germany.

Telenor has more branding in terms of apps and widgets. This includes apps such as Navigation (Telenor branded), Prisjakt, SVT Play, Sypernytt and tv.nu. Branded widgets include Aftonbladet, Nojesbsbladet, Sportbladet amongst others. The O2 Germany update is much cleaner and has around three branded apps. It is worth noting though that I found no noticeable performance difference between both firmware.

R2BA020 Xperia X10 firmware

Performance and Benchmarks

This is difficult to judge given that I had effectively done a complete factory install. This means that the X10 wasn’t bogged down with the sheer number of apps that are loaded when using my Xperia X10 on a day-to-day basis. Personally, I didn’t notice much difference in speed from the R1FB001 update (although this itself was an improvement from earlier updates).

However, by running ‘Benchmark’ from softweg (found in the Android Market) I was able to compare the scores from previous firmware. You can see the results below and it’s clear to see that R2BA020 is faster than previous updates.

R2BA020 Xperia X10 firmware

Battery

I will not be commenting on battery life, until I’ve had a good chance to test it properly. I already had found battery life to be improved in the R1FB001 update and so far I haven’t noticed anything substantially different.

Timescape

The biggest change in Timescape is the ability to change the background colour from a pre-defined selection. It’s a shame that you cannot use your own wallpaper or your own colours here, but it’s an improvement nonetheless. What I find a shame is that you cannot make the same ‘theme’ changes across the rest of SE’s UXP (including Mediascape that remains blue).

Another much-needed change includes an option in the settings to remove Timescape updating automatically every time the app starts. This has been introduced to reduce lag and is a welcome addition. Even with this ticked though, Timescape performance seems much improved.

R2BA020 Xperia X10 firmwareR2BA020 Xperia X10 firmware

Mediascape

R2BA020 Xperia X10 firmware

There have been some small UI changes although you do have to look for them. First of all, there are new icons for ‘Music’, ‘Video’ and ‘Photo’ at the bottom of the app. Each will glow when selected that adds a nice effect.

Mediascape also loads faster than before. However, when viewing an album for the first time, it is still painfully slow waiting for all of the images to be cached.

The gallery slide animations have also changed and appear to scroll more smoothly.

‘Backup and Restore’ app

Sony Ericsson has included a new backup app in this update called ‘Backup and Restore’. It allows you to backup data to your memory card including browser bookmarks, call log, contacts, messages, Multimedia Messages, System Settings and dictionary (including any words added). A copy of the downloaded applications will also be included in the backup file. Backups can also be scheduled. A very welcome addition.

R2BA020 Xperia X10 firmwareR2BA020 Xperia X10 firmware

Keyboard

The standard keyboard feels a tad more responsive although it’s not a massive change. Also there are now additional language keyboards installed, such as Korean and Chinese.

R2BA020 Xperia X10 firmware

Alarm Clock

There are now a greater selection of clocks to select from in the Alarm Clock app. This includes some very abstract ones.

R2BA020 Xperia X10 firmware

Screen responsiveness

The touchscreen is more responsive and colours appear to be more saturated.

In-call Volume

I’ve not noticed any improvements here so far. In-ear call volume is relatively low compared to other handsets.

External Speaker

The speaker is louder. It’s still not as loud as other handsets like the Samsung i8910 HD I have lying around, but it’s an improvement over the older updates.

Camera

I didn’t notice any big changes for the camera. However, the menus are quicker and the camera appears to focus faster too.

Playnow

This now Includes an option to log into account from the start. I didn’t notice too much different here, although Playnow is not something I’ve used extensively.

Missing apps in Market

I’m not sure if this is due to the Telenor branding, but I have noticed several apps missing in Android Market. This includes MyBackupPro, which meant I couldn’t restore my settings, apps.

No Creatouch app

The Creatouch app was meant to be included but it remains absent in this update. The only way that you can get this app is through Playnow. Maybe, we’ll see it appear in the next update!

1 yoav June 27, 2010 at 6:06 PM

I still stuck on the R1FA014 firmware version..i’m freaking out! Everytime, i see a post that a new firmware came and my phone always says that he has the latest firmware..something is very wiered in here..what should i do?

2 Emil June 27, 2010 at 6:33 PM

you could wait…like the rest of us…lol

3 eternity0022 June 27, 2010 at 6:59 PM

@yoav
u could debrand your phone easily. Just follow the instructions on this website. I had the same firmware as u do. now I have R1FB001 and hopefully in a few days I’ll install the latest one.

cheers

4 Asrujit June 27, 2010 at 7:12 PM

How do i install the latest one?
please guide?
if this was official release i dont need to debrand my phone right ?

please suggest i am still stuck with R1FA016

5 X10 June 27, 2010 at 7:18 PM

The files are included in the debranding tutorial, just follows the steps to install. Or you can just wait until it hits your region/mobile operator.

6 macaframa June 27, 2010 at 10:43 PM

So if I understand this correctly… since I have an unlocked phone I have to choose a carrier firmware update install it and then debrand. I really am looking for a cleaner solution.

7 Andreas June 28, 2010 at 12:01 AM

I guess it will be available during this week or something.
And it seems to be a really good update, thanks SE for that.

8 chayo June 28, 2010 at 4:06 AM

Does Backup & Restore back up installed Market apps as well?

9 Rahim June 28, 2010 at 5:40 AM

Man I’m still on R1FA014, does the update work via the ‘About Phone’ on your handset?

It’s saying I have the latest firmware, I’m in Aust.

10 X10 June 28, 2010 at 7:08 AM

@macaframa – We tested the branded updates as they are the only ones released so far. The generic R2BA020 updates should be released this week…

11 SF June 28, 2010 at 8:05 AM

Hey Guys.

Anybody else having problems with messages not threading in the new update R2BA020 ?

12 Otto June 28, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Hey guys anyone know when this new update will be availiable in australia?
I have the x10i with optus

13 Asrujit June 28, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Hello, I want to knwo when R2BA020 will be released officially in SE site, so we can update via PC COmpanion / UEUS ?

Its better to go with SE Update service.
I am from INDIA and myne is R1FA016;
Kindly suggest ?

14 Rahim June 28, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Hey Otto, I’m in Australia too, but with Vodafone. What firmware version is yours?

15 Kim June 28, 2010 at 1:24 PM

My X10 said it had the newest update with R1FA016. I ran a repair with SEUS and after that it changed to R1FB001.

16 Jean June 28, 2010 at 3:32 PM

i can’t get this update with my SE experia x10 using SEUS too..am in Norway…any salution?

17 Tommy June 28, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Guys if u using this debrand tutorial on this site… so u can update yours x10 without problem..
I have install this new firmware on my danish x10i phone. and work great.

u can’t not update this from SEUS if u brand dont get this update.. 🙂

hope this will help most of people. 🙂

18 Andreas June 28, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Will this update wipe my phone?

I have a Swedish generic one with firmware R1FB001 right now.

19 rgm June 28, 2010 at 8:14 PM

I have a x10i recently purchased, unbranded.

Still on the R2BA016, altough the update service on pc tells me theres a software update it fails to install and the phone always tells that it has the latest version.

any ideas?

20 Emil June 28, 2010 at 10:04 PM

@rgm reset the phone and when you´re finished take the battery out then try it again…

21 x10-290 June 28, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Can this update be completed by going to Settings–>About Phone–>Software update..? or do you have to do it through SEUS? (When avaliable for specific region/model obviously)..

I have a X10a with generic North American software.
Thanks

22 ShaneMc June 29, 2010 at 12:02 AM

For the Aussies: X10i with Optus. Debranded about a month ago (recommended!). At that time, SEUS upgraded me to generic R1FA016 – still on this. As of last night, R2BA020 not yet available via SEUS.

23 otto June 29, 2010 at 1:10 AM

Hi rahim i got the R1FA016 firmware, its not bad but i kno x10 can be better. Whats ur firware?

24 Rahim June 29, 2010 at 1:02 PM

I’m still on R1FA014… bloody Vodafone!!

I am going to debrand mine, anyone know if that voids warranty?

25 Otto June 29, 2010 at 3:40 PM

i dont think it will void the warranty and if anything does go wrong with debranding you can always just hook up to SEupdate and repair your phone back to the original one that you had!

I dont know if ill debrand and update to a sweedish/uk/german one just yet, might hold up for another week to see if there is one for AUS otherwise im going to install one of the generic ones

26 bash June 29, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Question: if i debrand my phone and put fw R1FB001 on it, will my x10 still be dutch? because with my se c902 that wasn’t the case, and i don’t want it to happen again, it was very frustrating

27 jasonic June 29, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Settings–>About Phone–>Software update brought R2BA020 via UK T-Mobile today

28 EM10 June 29, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Go it about 2 hours ago via OTA, had de branded version.

29 Rob* June 29, 2010 at 7:34 PM

UK Vodafone contract with the X10, previously on R1A016 now upgraded to R2BA020 about 20 minutes ago.

The update was simple to sort out, the About Phone page has a check for updates option, took about 10 minutes to download and another 10 to update.

So far, seems to be running quicker overall but the main one for me is the battery performance.. I hope to god this has been improved!

30 eiabea June 29, 2010 at 7:37 PM

hey,
i just rooted my x10, will i lose my root access when i use this firmware??

31 Asrujit June 30, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Hi Kim,
you sure / after u repair via SEUS its change to R1FB001 ?
do u see any changes in performance ?

32 HL Gan June 30, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Can my Singapore R1FA014 update this firmware?

33 Richo July 3, 2010 at 11:22 AM

I’ve just used the SEUS on my X10i based in Australia – uploaded about 153MB when I connected the USB to my computer – the phone seems to be more responsive.

34 Richo July 3, 2010 at 11:39 AM

@ShaneMc – I’m on Optus and have a debranded phone – I tried tonight and voila…

35 gman July 3, 2010 at 9:28 PM

I got update 2days ago on my debranded uk phone via the phones own updater

36 Tamas Bojtor July 4, 2010 at 1:01 AM

Anyone experiencing problems with the market after the latest update? Many of my paid apps are not showing up…a developer emailed me saying copyright protected apps will not show up until SE and Google confirm with each other the update they just rolled out to us…This is so annoying… Any ideas how to get our paid apps back again?!?

37 AJC July 4, 2010 at 6:14 AM

I cant LOG IN on Tweeter Timescape… does anyone has the same problem?

38 Johnny July 4, 2010 at 11:56 AM

@ALC
Me neither. Keeps saying incorrect login info.

39 AJC July 4, 2010 at 1:47 PM

@ALC Ive fixed… the problem was the date. Check that!!!

40 x10 user July 5, 2010 at 1:10 AM

Just got Canadian update to 020. Going through all the improvements. Hopefully battery will last longer.

41 Etheriel Rafael July 5, 2010 at 6:57 AM

You can upgrade to the firmware R2BA020 by doing certain step :
First : You have to install the newest version of Update Service that you can download from the
official Sony Ericsson website (www.sonyericsson.com) and
Second : click and install the software, eventhough the phone tells you that it has the latest version.

Note :
You don’t need to debrand your X10 to do this.
it’s best if you back up all of your data first before you start to install the upgrade.

I hope this can help you all.

42 stramak July 5, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Hi, i have problem with my xperia x10. I have just installed the update R2BA020 and after that everything seems to be ok. But when i am trying to start camera application it tells me that there is an unexpected exception, and then it terminates. Please does anybody know what to do? Camera is OK because i tried it with other software, but i want the default sonyericsson camera application. Thanks in advance for any opinions:)

43 John Visily July 6, 2010 at 2:34 AM

@ Etheriel Rafael –

This method does not work if you have a Three branded handset in Australia. No upgrade will occur and your phone will have been wiped for no reason.

44 SuperEvenSteven July 7, 2010 at 12:29 PM

@Tamas Bojtor

Got the same issue.

45 VipKing July 8, 2010 at 2:16 AM

You’re all very lucky… I am in Japan with Docomo service. And my latest is Firm: 1.6 Base: 1.0.24 and Build: R1EA025. I’m a bit scared to try a flash on my unit as the Japanese cell service companies here have their stuff on lockdown. If I try to flash and unbrand my phone, it could have negative effects on my actual billing service, IE: they think I have an unlocked or unauthorized phone on their network and they see it as a PC tehtering issue, data charges will skyrocket. I know this as I had a region/sim free iphone 3GS on Docomo’s network working but was charged huge data rates.
So with that being said, I’m stuck waiting for any sort of update with this unstable phone. This keyboard is killing me, I hope they fix it soon. And a multitask option along with a complete and proper way of copy/paste function would be nice.
I know… wishful think right? Great phone possibilities, but it the Xperia needs to be refined with good software updates.

Simply waiting…

46 Ganman July 9, 2010 at 2:31 AM

When i tried to update my x10, I had the same problem as many of you are faceing, the system told me that I had the latest software. But then I tried to install it on a different computer and it updated smoothly. Can’t tell why…..

47 Dadara72 July 9, 2010 at 10:10 AM

I’m in NL, just did the update, got the R2BA023 release. Can’t discover any new things compared to the R2BA020 description above

48 Alvin July 10, 2010 at 5:56 PM

When will it be avlb to Brazil? I tryed but I could not update my x10… 🙁

49 NZblue July 17, 2010 at 3:13 AM

I’m in New Zealand and just updated to R2BA024 Release Gunna go and have a look for any new features 🙂

50 Lee July 19, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Got this through SEUS on O2 UK on the 17th July while attempting to debrand. Looks good but peeved at losing my National Rail app (amongst others) that disappeared from the market. Anyone know why this has happened? I thought availability was driven by Android version.

51 gman July 21, 2010 at 10:31 PM

my phone keeps asking for the pin after this update 3 times a day at least when i take my phone out it asks for the pin it never done this b4 the update and it hangs when a get a call it will not let me unlock the screen fast takes about 3-5 trys.

52 Nic July 22, 2010 at 9:22 PM

@gman: I have exactly the same issue. Tried to conctact SE belgium support without any success. Where do you come from? Did you get any answer from your local support?

53 Phil July 23, 2010 at 3:31 PM

I updated this today, I’m on Rogers network… IT RESET EVERYTHING BACK TO DEFAULTS

background, icons, ringtone, wiped out messages and email setup.
Just a warning for everyone out there.

54 Phil July 23, 2010 at 5:14 PM

wiped out contacts as well… damn!

55 sjcrows July 23, 2010 at 11:45 PM

still waiting for 02 uk to update the firmware apparently vodafone orange and tmobile have released it but three and 02 uk have yet to release it

56 Lee July 26, 2010 at 4:32 PM

I have had my O2 update through SEUS. Was not available OTA.

57 lhen July 29, 2010 at 10:46 PM

my husband annoy with this korean keypad how can i remove it!!!!

58 Xperia X10 August 4, 2010 at 12:02 PM

hey guys… u all should just download the SE update service… i just updated mine…. thats the only way…. i tried the method u used also and it gave me the same window u saw…

59 MeMo KoaLa August 24, 2010 at 3:32 PM

I did the debranding a few days ago from at&t USA. if i run the SEUS service and go all the way on the download will my phone be recognizable by the at&t network again and have all that att crap that i hate back on the phone?
so far the att network doesnt change my data plan to from basic to smartphone because of the debranding.
i want to get the update w/out geting all that att ish… is it posible?

60 James September 22, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Does this new update ( R2BA020 or 023 )with Rogers locks back, unlocked x10 and what happens with photos and music? Thanks

61 Elliott September 27, 2010 at 10:28 AM

hi,
have a software update message on my x10 mini and am aprehensive to update as the last time i updated, it completely wiped my phone (deleting contacts, apps, everything) will this happen again? anyone have any thoughts on this please?
thanks!

62 Ejph October 14, 2010 at 4:42 AM

Hi..

I’m in Indonesia.
Mine X10i and I still stuck on the R1FA014 firmware version.
I want to know, is there any debranding tutorial firmware update for my phone in my region? Or can I use Hongkong Generic X10i firmware?
I’m really-really blank with all this things.
Please help me..