Xperia X10 Root instructions released!

by X10 on June 27, 2010

in Firmware, News

Xperia X10Okay, the time has come. The wizards over at xda-developers have publically released the instructions on how to root the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10. The process appears to be simple enough and hopefully it will be a brick-free process too.

A big thanks to Jerpelea, biktor_gj and Bin4ry over at xda-developers for first obtaining root and secondly providing a method that everyone can use. Once you root your phone, please head over to the xda-developers and make a donation to these guys. It’s the least they deserve for cracking a phone that many thought may be impenetrable. You can check out the full Xperia X10 Root guide here.

Thanks Pappy!

1 Pappy June 27, 2010 at 8:07 PM

My X10 finally rooted. 🙂

Many thanks to Bin4ry, Jerpelea and Biktor_gj.

2 jackson June 27, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Are you gonna guys make a guide with pictures and stuff? I can’t seem to get it working under win7 x64….

3 X10 June 27, 2010 at 8:25 PM

@jackson – We will do at some point, although only once we can do it justice. In the meantime, if you have any questions just head over to xda-developers.

4 Pappy June 27, 2010 at 9:20 PM

@jackson Try to reinstall java.
In win 7 x64 everything work fine for me.

5 Jimbo0o June 27, 2010 at 11:41 PM

@Pappy
i’ve got the same issue i think with jackson. when i start the steps i get the message:
‘java’ is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. I also have win 7 x64.

6 Obasan June 27, 2010 at 11:54 PM

Hey I have a original xperia x10a, not debranded or anything. So do i have to debrand it first to root?

Also any xperia x10a users debrand their Xperias out there?

7 LV June 28, 2010 at 2:56 AM

@obasan I have the same question.. I have a Rogers Xperia, can I root it without having to do anything else first?

Thanks!

8 obasan June 28, 2010 at 6:51 AM

I would wait a few more days or even a week cause on xda they found bugs and glitches with the root. Also I guess it would be best to root it when some android or HTC roms come out.

9 Shukla June 28, 2010 at 7:14 AM

Hey guys! I’m with rogers too in Canada, and I just finished rooting my X10a 🙂 (i didn’t do anything prior to this, like debranding or anything)

to the people with the internal/external errors in java.. locate where the bin folder is. For me it was
“C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin”
Then go to (for windows 7 btw) Control panel > system and security > system (or basically just right click the computer (or my computer) icon and properties) then go to advanced system settings on the left side.
Then go to Environment variables… located under the Advanced tab
then under the system variables section, locate path and press edit and put in “C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin”

if anyone else has questions.. I’ll be happy to help out 🙂

10 Kristijan June 28, 2010 at 10:49 AM

hotfile.com/dl/51161486/a67bb41/step4.zip.html

moded

step4 with mediaspace

11 Léo June 28, 2010 at 12:45 PM

This is related to all the Xperia X10 models, including the X10a ? Thanks !

Regards,
Léo

12 Dave H June 28, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Hey guys, what does Root mean in the Smart Phone World. I love any tricks to make my X10 faster and smarter. Appreciate your advice. Sorry if it’s a dumb question.

13 sean June 28, 2010 at 3:27 PM

@jackson
i was having similar issues make sure u are pluggin it in back of ur computer not in front panel this will help u get right device id if still not workin remoev sony ericsson companion n then reinstall repair ur fone n then get the device id it will shud work like a charm n if for any reason it doesnt come on the forums over at XDA n pm me i will walk u thru it

14 Trevor June 28, 2010 at 4:46 PM

I get to the part where i have to click on step 2 and it says
error: device not found
error: device not found
“select option 6 SDCARD UPDATE”
Press any key to continue . . .

I have clicked on the USB debugging but now im stuck 🙁

15 Fabio June 29, 2010 at 11:26 PM

Can someone explain to some noob guys like I am, what will I obtain rooting my X10i?!?
Will I be able to install Android 2.2 and to keep all my apps, including the SE apps like the camera and timescape/mediascape?!?
Thanks a lot! 🙂

16 Pappy June 30, 2010 at 3:20 PM

@ Fabio

First the fact that we have reached the root does not mean that we can be installed Android 2.2.
We try to make a custom bootloader to able to f lash custom rom for example Android 2.2

We wait to somebody make a bootloader.

17 Boots July 2, 2010 at 7:07 AM

@Pappy,

I wanted to ask the same question – now that I have root why can’t i install 2.2?
I saw someone put update.zip in the SD card, press back button + restart and it installed the update – can’t we do that with 2.2?

18 henk janse July 4, 2010 at 3:37 PM

for the ones who have a 64bit O.S. its more dificult due to java problems

19 Rob July 12, 2010 at 2:12 AM

Error with flashing in step 1. Cannot run USBFlash.dll 32 bit in a 64 bit java environment.

20 peanuts_mum August 25, 2010 at 8:46 PM

I am a complete noob looking to buy x10 mini pro, can I ask what rooting actually is, what does it do, what are the pros & cons? thanks & sorry if I sound a biff!

21 bivash September 10, 2010 at 2:34 PM

i have a xperia x10 i which i bought in india .

If i root it will my Sony Ericsson warranty for my phone expire ?

what are the pros and cons of rooting the phone ?

22 Kit October 28, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Same problem as rob…

23 bnsuki November 1, 2010 at 11:58 PM

@Shukla

thanks so much. you rock.

24 Van December 25, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Ok I have a X10a and I need help rooting this biscuet can any one help

25 Confused February 21, 2011 at 4:46 AM

I also have xperia x10a store bought from AT&T. For those noob guys, like me, asking questions about rooting, i found this website helpful “http://www.androidcentral.com/rooting-it-me-some-qa” without quotes.

BTW, i have x10a and i saw the guide and it states that this rooting process will convert x10i to x10a. I’m still confused. I just debranded my phone and now i’m up to rooting. can anyone help me on this one?

26 Confused February 21, 2011 at 4:52 AM

and please send me e-mail which files to download because there’s a lot of links on the guide that got me confused. the only thing i cud follow is the steps… sorry if i’m being way “noober” than the rest of you guys.

san4ever_03@yahoo.com

many tnx guys…

27 etto... April 9, 2011 at 1:22 AM

Just wondering, after rooting will the camera and (Timescape and Mediascape) and other apps still work?