Sony Ericsson CEO says “big surprise” coming soon

by X10 on September 23, 2010

in News

Sony Ericsson CEOBert Nordberg, Sony Ericsson’s CEO, has promised that “big surprises” are coming soon from the company over the next few months. He was talking at the grand opening of Sony Ericsson’s new US HQ in Atlanta.

Whether this relates to rumours around a Playstation/Xperia branded Android Gingerbread phone remains to be seen. It could also relate to the successor of the Xperia X10, with rumours suggesting cutting edge hardware specs. When talking about rivals he said that the BlackBerry is a “text machine” while Sony Ericsson aims to be an “entertainment machine”. He then went to say that he wants SE wants to become the leading Android device maker.

However, as tantalising as these rumours are, the company needs to learn lessons from the Xperia X10. Sony Ericsson needs to cut the lead time between announcement and delivery of the next flagship (five months in the case of the Xperia X10 was just too long) and make sure it comes to the market with the latest OS. SE’s loyal customers are unlikely to be so forgiving next time.

Via Global Atlanta [via Engadget].

1 yasser September 23, 2010 at 7:48 AM

Fingers Crossed 🙂

Cant wait for X12 😛

2 PalleA September 23, 2010 at 7:51 AM

“SE’s loyal customers are unlikely to be so forgiving next time. ” LOL – You are sooo right. If SE does not improve drastically on this, then my X10 mini is going to be my last SE phone EVER.

3 gman September 23, 2010 at 7:52 AM

There full of shit they can get any high end handset right and give up and just bring a new one out. Utter cock suckers!

4 burkov September 23, 2010 at 8:04 AM

The one with 64k colors???

5 송석영 September 23, 2010 at 8:08 AM

빨리 해줘 이딴거 올리지 말고

6 solid0snake September 23, 2010 at 8:14 AM

I bet the big surprise is that SE will discontinue support for the X10 and moving forward to a new phone. 🙂

And we all will stuck with 1.6 forever………………………..FOOOOOREEEEEEEEEEEEEVER

7 gman September 23, 2010 at 8:14 AM

Satio p1i x10i vizaz k850 all had sw isuses i know as ha
d them all.

8 hawick September 23, 2010 at 8:16 AM

Leading Android phone?
Haha,prove it!

9 我是你爸爸。 September 23, 2010 at 8:27 AM

“I will give you a big surprise!!! No further updates for Xperia lines of phones. We’ve stopped the update because we cannot give you, the consumers a confirmed date so might as well scrapped it.”

Regards
Sony Ericsson CEO

10 Bright September 23, 2010 at 8:41 AM

我是你爸爸 … good one~! hahahaha….

11 Scavi September 23, 2010 at 8:48 AM

no updates in september, 2.1 coming in october

12 scavi September 23, 2010 at 8:49 AM

I guess this was the surprise. ha ha

13 我是你爸爸。 September 23, 2010 at 8:52 AM

Bright,

Its the truth…. If you lend me $1,000 & I say I will pay you in Q3 but now left few days to the end of Q3, will you be anxious?

If I give you a confirmed date, you feel at ease right?

Same theory. Give a confirmed date or else don’t publish it until the software is ready. Don’t make us “心思思” in Cantonese……

14 me September 23, 2010 at 8:52 AM

Its 23.9.2010, one week to end of Q3 so the sony ericsson where is the promised update? ceo stop talking bullshits !

15 Rumbug September 23, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Always good reading these blogs for feedback from the public.
LOL. over a year after launching the X10’s – “Big Surprise coming” from CEO!
Bunch of idiots working on newer technologies without supporting current products. As main infuence in my company of choosing phones for rollout, I think I’ll scrap SE.

Good luck to you guys wit X10 range, andd SE.

16 Die Hard Fan September 23, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Pure incompetence! The big surprise will be the announcement of the resignation of the CEO and board of directors for this mess up.

I had the xperia x10 since april in the mistaken believe that the software update to the latest android will be due very soon. It has been 5 months, and my warranty will last the next 6-7 months without any hint of when the upgrade is coming. Someone has to be held accountable for this.

17 때려쳐라 September 23, 2010 at 9:35 AM

영원히1.6이나쓰면서 만족해라이거구만

18 David September 23, 2010 at 9:54 AM

This won’t make you happy.
SE says that the 2.1 update won’t be available intil the end of october

19 kenshin September 23, 2010 at 9:55 AM

BIG SURPRISE: We are bankrupt again…sorry…was that expected?? Oh! then it is a big surprise for us…

I would be plesantly surprised if they gave the encryption keys to the bootloader…and that is all I want from these guys…I don’t even want their support… They’ve given me the hardware…which is really good…now just give me complete access to it…

20 David September 23, 2010 at 9:55 AM

no more SE in my pocket! ever.

21 Lako September 23, 2010 at 9:56 AM

This is kinda rubbish SE READ YOUR BLOG HERE AND ALL OVER THE NETWORK PEOPLE ARE SELLING THEIR X10 because of you ….you had a great phone and promisess and what you did ? you let all of us down with bull***** politics and updates and stuff… nobody wants the update to include timescape and mediascape everybody wants 16m colors and MT !!! get your act together or your next phone will be complete dissaster ….

22 Boonus September 23, 2010 at 9:57 AM

We should tie that fat bastard up and stone him to death. But instead of stones we will use out x10’s, cuz thats about all they good for now.

23 gRunty September 23, 2010 at 10:01 AM

“He then went to say that he wants SE wants to become the leading Android device maker.”

Can someone please tell him that SE is far far behind Samsung, Motorola, HTC and even LG?
I wish there was a poll asking people how satisfied you are as a X10 user. Wonder how negative the result is gonna be.

24 JO September 23, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Thankyou for adding another post. Let’s hope this one doesn’t turn into a troll fest like the last.

Ah, I spoke too soon (I just read the comments)

Please, do us all a favor and sell your X10’s. Don’t tell us about it. Don’t tell us why. Just PXXOFX…

25 Bayhas Kana September 23, 2010 at 10:34 AM

I am not ready for the surprise really… considering that I spent 700 dollars on my latest phone less than 40 days ago…

SE, Lets upgrade what I already have, so I can use it for what I need it to, and then I ll be happy and interested in what you want to offer next…

I mean seriously… your customers are not all babies, air head hotties, and stoned rockers… you know… you have a small percentage of your customers that are professionals, and use stuff like Outlook… and things like PUSH MAIL is really important to them… a lot more than zooming at Mr. Frog… for that I have an Alpha SLR…

Moxier is crap… lets get native exchange sync support already… thats all what I want 2.1 for…

26 D3llerium September 23, 2010 at 10:43 AM

What’s their big surprise…. Smartphones with an out dated Mobile OS come on SE you used to be the big players in the mobile phones but right now your overtaken by new players like Apple (which is not a mobile phone company but their kicking & screaming), HTC and Samsung & Motorola.

I used to believe on SE innovations but right now I’m having second thoughts of it and look at those Koreans and Taiwanese their gaining momentum.

If you sleep enough then your enemies will crash you to the point that you cannot recover from it.

27 eternity September 23, 2010 at 11:46 AM

I wont buy another SE phone even if it comes with the hardware from 2030.
f u SE bigtime, not ever again, u lost urself a loyal customer.

28 Miki September 23, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Xperia x12 with Android 1.6. Ha ha ha. Or maybe 1.5 Or 4.4. Bleah, bleah

29 Andrew September 23, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Delaying the update? Not a “big surprise” at all.

30 Jak September 23, 2010 at 1:01 PM

I dont fucking care about an Xperia X12, i got an X10 and i want some improvement for mine! i dont wanna buy another phone, got mine from 6 months!

31 Benji91 September 23, 2010 at 1:54 PM

It just sucks because I have this phone for 2 years. SE said they would keep updating the X10 for the entirety of its life.. I guess they failed to say how long its life would be…not very long by the looks of it.

32 bo September 23, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Phew..this means, x10 user have to give up, there will be a new phone, and x10 will soon outdated and forgotten..

33 mfrahim September 23, 2010 at 4:17 PM

As I predicted before and it not supprising me.

34 Bandit September 23, 2010 at 5:42 PM

YOU FOOLS.
DON’T YOU GET IT?

Sony is actually about to release Froyo for the X10. That’s the surprise. They make the claim about delay to build suspense, and once they release the update, we will be the happiest customers on earth!

35 me September 23, 2010 at 6:49 PM

it’s FROYO

36 fried egg September 23, 2010 at 6:56 PM

the big surrrrrrrrrrprise will be, soon after the x10 gets 2.1 it will update to “1.6” again

37 ELT September 23, 2010 at 8:17 PM

SE is losing market BIG time, they’re not listening to their customers.

38 uliwooly September 23, 2010 at 8:56 PM

There’s no way it’ll be froyo, one interesting about the list

nothing about:

16 million colors
DNLA
etc etc

I wonder if they will release it October 12 – 15 as a way to boost sales and show the new SE windows 7 phones; and by the time networks release the update it’ll be Xperia X10’s 1st anniversary (november 23)

39 Larry September 23, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Most companies has been screwing owners for years on new hardware. The X10 is pretty good for Sony’s first smartphone.

@Bandit lol, in your dream. Sony can’t keep a secret and I believe the rumor of the new psp phone are true because the X10 is behind its competitions.

40 fried egg September 23, 2010 at 9:03 PM

but it isnt really their first, its just the first they made, they also ran the planning for the x1 and x2, both of which promised updates and then messed them up…

the x10 was thought to be “we have learnt”
yet they got the specs wrong, and then took too long to launch “but dont worry we will update a lot, and while there is no multitouch we are working on something else” — well until yuo forget.. pity a lot of us wont forget as we are on 2 year contracts and cant buy the next one for a while. long enough to suffer the memory not to buy again

41 Stan September 23, 2010 at 9:22 PM

I want to punch this guy in his fat head.

42 Gene September 24, 2010 at 12:35 AM

Looks like the big surprise he was talking about is the Eclair upgrade that will be happening in October. Big faker.

43 Pissed OFF September 24, 2010 at 1:02 AM

I HAVE A BIG SUPRISE FOR HIM, I’m gonna shove my X10 right up his ASS and buy a Galaxy or another phone!!!!

44 4K September 24, 2010 at 2:02 AM

news from SE
the big surprise is:
– X12 with Android 2.1 out in 06-2010 😀
– Xperia PSP with 3.0 out in 12-2012 hahahah

CLOWN!!

45 Sava D. September 24, 2010 at 2:23 AM

omg, they should start making real phones and not constantly promise some big fcuking surprises.

46 Bradders September 24, 2010 at 3:24 AM

Hi all, yes I am fed up waiting too, gone back to my p1i, atleast its reliable!
I’m not too bothered about 16 m colours, I just want to be able to hear the person I’m calling and them hear me, anyone else having same problem? I have to redial upto three times before person I’m trying to call can actually hear anything from my end, SE if you read this could you please let me know anyway I can sort this, it is not a network issu but my x10, I reckon se rushed this phone out without caring about its actual ability, another case of style over substance, I will not be fooled again!

47 roberto September 24, 2010 at 3:56 AM

A big surprise – “Let’s forget the draft X10 and get focus to the new Xperia Phone” SE CEO

48 roberto September 24, 2010 at 4:11 AM
49 Bira Mata September 24, 2010 at 4:55 AM

They/re far far way to be lead of android market , once they speend lot of time to release updates, such as android 2.1, while HTC already running. This make SE users, unhappy, and of course I looking to change to another phone.

50 Jehovah Tai September 24, 2010 at 7:40 AM

Very nice.. my X10 will be the lamest smart phone ever.. =]

51 Grammar Police September 24, 2010 at 10:59 AM

And the big surprise? The CEO uses a Desire!!!

I’m kidding!!!

SE are on track to met the October deadline!!!! October 2011 that is…

52 Nilesh September 24, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Let me just confirm to everyone that is looking forward to SE or their products or the big surprise;

The Xperia x10 is the last ever sony product in my life. end of story.

53 Leif Sorensen September 24, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Maybe he talks about an Android 3.0 upgrade. Gingerbread will be ready in mid October. Big surprise.

54 Advisor520 September 24, 2010 at 11:16 PM

Anymore else surprise? The surprise is maybe regardless on any x10 xperia upgrade. And I have a strong feeling that the 2.1 would be the last upgrade for the x10. They wanna focus on the new device rather than the s u* k x10.

55 tochi September 25, 2010 at 1:56 AM

Can’t wait to c d surprise

56 andy September 25, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Just sent my x10 back for repair and dug out my 6 year old Nokia 6021. It’ not be turned on for over 2 years and guess what it works. It just works. 6 years old and no problems compared to 6 months and numerous problems with my X10. Does that not just say it all.

57 Ciel September 26, 2010 at 8:41 PM

++++++in the near future
SE CEO: “we were unable to figure out how to upgrade the x10, so we started working on making the x100 instead, which will be sold for $1000”

58 Gaz September 30, 2010 at 9:23 PM

You whining little bastards. If you´re such wizzards why are you not starting a worldwide faboulous phonebrand with all so perfect goodies yourselves. It seems you are unemployed SE rejects all of you.

The phonemarket is a too fast evolving market for all participants. It’s not an easy task to put an update out there, they have to listen to the phonecompanies so their junk works with the phone, the customers so they want it, they have to make sure that their own things works whith it.

If they just send out an update then you would scream that they behave like microsoft and do’nt give a shit.

So scrap your SE phones and stick to fucking HTC.
But shut up and get a job

59 qwerty October 3, 2010 at 12:00 PM

i hope the surprise is android 2.1 for xperia x10

60 Mr.Hyde October 9, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Well folks, here it is. SE has cut short on its commitments to clients and to the future development of its own technology (Xperia Extend).

Here is the update on the potential SE lawsuit I wanted to bring to life in Canada.
We currently have ground to sue SE based on the two following and yet simple points.

Xperia X10 was sold with the promise of regular firmware updates and the assurance that Xperia would evolve alongside Android OS (which is why we bought those bloody devices). This is considered as a contract with the clients and the providers/distributors of the said phones.

Since this will not happen and is therefore contrary to what we were assured by the company, SE is in ”breach” of contract with clients and distributors.

But the real point that could enable us to win in Canada is the following. Buying SE Xperia X10 will cause substantial losses to all of their owners (who will have to break their current contracts with carriers and assume the related fees, buy a new phone and finally get a new contract with same/different carriers). For some of us, the total amount in question can reach 1015$ (in my case:I have a 2 years contract with Rogers, so I have to pay remaining balance on my phone 315.00$CA, cancellation fees 400.00$CA, buying a new phone 200.00$CA and lastly new contract and related fees 100.00+, for a big total of over 1000.00$CA). It is easy to prove that those losses are intricately tied to buying Xperia X10, and they would not have occurred had we bought another device. Since our phones are a business tool and we will not be able to use it as needed and as promised, despite what SE advertised and assured, we have ground for a serious lawsuit.

But to win this in court, we need to make it a collective case against SE, therefore proving without a doubt that we all suffer the same consequences due to misinformation and false promises made by SE.

It is considered illegal in Canada to make false advertisement, and based on those two facts alone, we have serious grounds, but we need to stand together to win this and force SE to assume its responsabilities towards its clients.

If you want to join the cause, please contact me at sexperiax10lawsuit@gmail.com
Mr.Hyde

61 ajish April 23, 2011 at 9:05 AM

I purchased a sony ericson experia mini mobile just 2 months ago.It had a battery problem.I submitted the set in Accel frontline services limited, cochin, Kerala, india under complaint id SE311ACH10442 on 21 March 2011 but till date (23 april 2011) no positive reply from their side. I am a regular customer of sony ercsson, due to poor service i will not buy another sony product