AT&T says “timing undefined” for Xperia X10 Éclair update

by X10 on November 25, 2010

in Firmware, News

AT&T Xperia X10Frustrated US owners of the Xperia X10 have been sitting on the sidelines watching most other X10 owners from around the globe boasting about the Android 2.1 update. The bad news is that AT&T X10 owners may still be in for a lengthy wait.

Sony Ericsson USA has posted an update on their Facebook page pointing to an “especially rigorous” testing process that may take “months to complete”. They go on to say that as the Xperia X10 was launched in the US months after everyone else, they will only receive the update after all of the initial countries have received it first. SE USA aren’t committing to a release date either and say that “timing is undefined”. Sounds ominous.

1 Ray November 25, 2010 at 5:01 PM

typical AT&T B.S. take your money then forget about you. I dont Blame SE at all but AT&T i do blame. They probably will never release it for us USA customers thinkin they (AT&T) can make us spend more money on another device. Wrong AT&T Screw you i have 2.1 on mine lol

2 David November 25, 2010 at 5:02 PM

First 😀

3 David November 25, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Crap xD

4 stars November 25, 2010 at 5:06 PM

in case of emergency break glass and download the XDA solution

5 Ray November 25, 2010 at 5:11 PM

thats right stars i have been running 2.1 for a week xda did a great job the phone is so much nicer to use now

6 tombstone November 25, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Shit and I thot rogers in Canada was slo!

7 poppa tooche November 25, 2010 at 5:43 PM

america sux, thats why you dont have the update………………baby faced fat boys.

8 Sumit November 25, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Go to hell AT&T. Thanks to xda, I already have the update. And guess what, it does not have any AT&T bloatware and crapware.

9 fact is fact November 25, 2010 at 6:56 PM

It’s better to just flash the phone to 2.1 through xda developers and I promise you that you will be happy !! Waiting for carries is just a pain in the … so go and fix your problem your self.

Unless you are with Rogers, which really did a brilliant job in releasing the update very soon compared to others.

10 uliwooly November 25, 2010 at 7:24 PM

What is/are the REAL difference(s) between the branded update to the XDA update, besides the obvious:

1) additional apps that can’t be removed and are useless
2) the network logo
3) and the restrictions that come with.

and what are the advantages if any between a debranded update v the branded update?

I don’t understand how come people keep waiting for their networks to update their phone when they can just use the XDA option.

11 TheWeedMan November 25, 2010 at 8:10 PM

Being honest here but you guys aren’t missing anything not having 2.1.
As the buglist continues to grow im praying the guys over at xda come up with a solid rom.

Standard 2.1 Bugs:-
-major battery issues
-1 in 20 calls wont hang up
-data connection timeouts
-keyboard lag and issues
-phonelock plays up
-severe lag issues at times
-low incall volume (seems worse)
-internet browser takes ages to close (no exit option)
-display comes on at random intervals during charging.

To name a few! So dont be to upset guys…its a novelty.

12 ESE November 25, 2010 at 11:15 PM

I’m so tired of waiting for this update to come out. I’ve tried several times to root on xda with no luck! Some how it’s not allowing me to do this root to my xperia x10!! So I’m done with this phone! About to put it up for sale, cause I’m tired of waiting for this so call update.. Dropping AT&T as well cause they are garbage!! Here I come sprint. 😉

13 jwilding November 26, 2010 at 12:32 AM

Just got notice on phone mini x10. In california 2.1. Is avalibul. Un branded and un modded not att. Thankful for that

14 OSCAR November 26, 2010 at 5:24 AM

How hard is it to run an update and just have it select a language that you use??

15 kenshin November 26, 2010 at 11:11 AM

@theweedman: what are you talking about?

Yaa…xda has really done a great job

16 ATT User November 26, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Does anyone who did the XDA update have any issues with BLUETOOTH??? I’m not able to transfer anything via Bluetooth and right in the middle of transfer the connection terminates, I tried different devices and I’m sure its mine that has problem, and NO it’s not a Task Manager issue, I tried uninstalling it and still had the same problems!!!!
PLEASE RESPOND, THANKS 🙂

17 vekz November 26, 2010 at 2:04 PM

@ TheWeedMan: you are quite right. Although I’m not experiencing all the bugs you report, I thought my phone was better, snappier than now after updating.
I as well find my phone lagging pretty bad every now and then (especially when scrolling through menus). The keyboard does lag from time to time (very annoying). Worst of all, is the fact that, every time I switch off my device and turn it back on, it takes a random picture from my photoalbum and stores it as album art for all of my mp3s that did not have an artist image. You can only reset this by deleting every single album art picture. How is it possible that this has been overlooked during testing?
I have been looking forward to the update, but I must say, I’m kinda disappointed.

18 Jikenda November 26, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Actually, you guys will complain no matter what you’re running on the X10. I am dual booting 2.1 and custom Froyo and its faster than any other phone I have seen and I’m on AT&T. XDA can show you the way…

19 Jeshurun November 26, 2010 at 4:49 PM

You might try this trick and flash it to rogers firmware. That way your phone will still stay as an X10a and you will probably get future updates without any hassles as well.

20 Lewis November 26, 2010 at 4:55 PM

OOOOOhhh that sucks, at&t sucks but his is the big brother.

21 Stan S. November 28, 2010 at 1:16 PM

I have been following the posts at XDA. I have a comment. Bin4ry has modded some of the firmwares posted as “Generic” removing things he doesn’t like among the Sony apps. Processes he feels are junk background processes and doesn’t always explain that he’s done so in a direct manner when they are posted save to say ‘junk free’ or sometimes nothing. I think that unless he’s starting from a base Android and building in the specific X10 drivers, he may be introducing bugs and problems. People are not posting where they got the firmware from SEUS or XDA when they post bugs or problems.Additionally the ‘reset firmware to defaults’ issue which caused many of the original problems. Remember if you had a generic 1.6 SEUS gave you a generic 2.1. People who seem to have a full SE issued 2.1 don’t seem to have the same complaints.

22 Nette's-world November 28, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Listen, folks, don’t waste your time upgrading to 2.1, it messes up your phone badly. You will lose your apps (no, the latest backup & restore doesn’t save them), you will lose everything on your calendar, and contacts become a real mess. Previously, the word list was good at prediction, now it is full of people’s names from FB and totally misses the word you type in! A real aggravation when trying to send a short text!! It really is not worth the hassle, I don’t see any benefits of this upgrade, the HD video is no better than the previous version, which I would gladly keep to get rid of the mess 2.1 has made of my X10!

23 TheWeedMan November 28, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Lmfao @ kenshin

Once you update to 2.1 all will be revealed!

24 Tad November 29, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Main thing that I’m waiting for is simply to be able to use my Yahoo! mail on the device. Yahoo doesn’t have IMAP support, so the only way to use it on the device is to use the Yahoo Mail app which only works on Android 2 or better. So until I get it on AT&T, I’m sort of screwed.

25 S&N December 10, 2010 at 12:12 AM

To ALL at&t X10a users with SI# 1237-4604

-Call 611 from your phones.

-Choose the option for Tech.Support or press #6.

-Demand 2.1 Update NOW, as 1.6 is dated and obsolete.

-Ask the Rep.to add your name and phone # to the case already opened by me.

-Case #20101209_15240048 opened by RYE on 12/9.

-If your name cannot be added to my case then demand a new case with your name be opened and ask for resolution date and copy to your email.

-Tell the rep. how you see other x10 users worldwide blogging and enjoying the 2.1 update while nothing happens in the USA.

-Its up to us to be heard and satisfied as customers.

Strength in Numbers, People!!!

26 RK January 18, 2011 at 11:25 PM

@Ray

Please tell me how you got 2.1 on your x10a?! i’ve been trying to figure it out for a month!!

-thanks,
rob

27 Adam February 17, 2011 at 3:12 PM

This issue has gone on way too long. Check out this website to sign a petition to At$T:

28 dune17856 February 21, 2011 at 3:56 PM

AT$T has been horrid about this. Please sign this petition: