Further detail on why SE is not unlocking the Xperia X10 bootloader

by X10 on March 30, 2011

in Firmware, News, Problems

PadlockKarl-Johan Dahlstrom from the SE Developer Blog has given some extra clarity on why the Xperia X10 will not see its bootloader unlocked, unlike the new Xperia range. The main reason he points to is that the X10 bootloader does not support being “unlocked in a secure way”.

When a bootloader is unlocked it wipes the phone like a factory reset (including user data and apps) but also deletes “DRM certificates and sensitive keys”. The bootloader of the upcoming Xperia phones have been updated to account for this, whereas the X10’s bootloader will not be updated mid-cycle – even once we see the Android Gingerbread update.

This is down to the Xperia X10 already being in the market and therefore upgrading the bootloader is too much of a risky process. Karl goes on to say that if the bootloader for the X10 was unlocked and the upcoming Gingerbread update failed for whatever reason, there is a high chance that the phone would be bricked. SE has a strong reputation up until now of making their Android phones very difficult to brick and we imagine they want to continue this going forward.

1 Pak Ya March 30, 2011 at 9:54 AM

1st..

2 shoox March 30, 2011 at 10:06 AM

why not make one for x10 and update it with seus or something. im not very clear of this. not a pro. so people like me wont understand. well thanks for the update…

3 DRuNKeN MaSTeR March 30, 2011 at 10:15 AM

“The main reason he points to is that the X10 bootloader does not support being “unlocked in a secure way”.”

Let me rephrase that: they sold the same hardware (X10/Arc/Neo/Play/Pro) 5 times, and don’t want to unlock the X10, because nobody would buy the “new” models, everybody would be upgrading their X10’s (just like I would).

Also: first? 😀

4 bmw z4 March 30, 2011 at 12:30 PM

you dont realy need the bootloader unlocking do you? just buy another phone dogg, get over it, moaning is so 1999.

5 PaK Ya March 30, 2011 at 12:31 PM

I AM JUST A GAY LORD

6 x10! is a best March 30, 2011 at 1:59 PM

I would love mine phone with gingerbread. Love you sony ericssoN!

it’s now perfect with 2.2 roms, more better with official 2.3

7 Goro March 30, 2011 at 7:07 PM

If they unlocked x10’s bootloader who would buy Xperia Arc or Neo :D:D pure business

8 Jamie T March 30, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Well thats a party pooper!

9 Xperiax10 March 30, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Sony Ericsson have do so much thinks for the xperiax10 that was not planed be happy what u got im not sad or angry about SE that they not unlock the Bootloader. I love Sony Ericsson 2:)

10 Jade L March 30, 2011 at 8:27 PM

SO first post on this blog…
Yes i agree that it’s marketing and as a man in sales i respect that…
BUT… that is by far the most PC statements i have hear in years…
As a sales man if Sony released a product that wiped someone’s life line heads would roll.
So in the end good job Sony for not releasing and XDA please make one that work for us teck guys that are willing to start over…

11 dick March 31, 2011 at 3:14 AM

I never seen a company that care this much. They could easily say fuck off like Crapple but no.

12 Lysol Pionex March 31, 2011 at 7:01 AM

I agree with dick. Compared to Apple, ANY company listens to its users better. 🙂
And SE really has come a long way from the initial list of complaints:
dual touch? check
Froyo update? nope, GINGERBREAD! check
Unlocking the bootloader? eh…kinda check? 😛

I think they’re listening to us; there is a business angle to it, sure. But I think they’ve come a long way in the past year. imho.

13 x10dexterx10 March 31, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Sony Ericsson Rules!!!!

14 Richo March 31, 2011 at 12:45 PM

I have to agree, SE is listening, I was considering a HTC phone recently, but will hold fire. 1 year on the X10 has got better and I look forward to further developments. Android is so customisable that my X10 can be tailored for now. I’ll wait until gingerbread, and then look in 4-6 months to see what other SE phones are around and buy one from there.

15 Sloggoth March 31, 2011 at 3:57 PM

X10 Mini with Cyanogen Mod 6 (MinCM RC1) runs much (so much) better than with stock Rom; why would I indeed want an X8?

16 pak ya March 31, 2011 at 5:51 PM

JIZZ

17 DD March 31, 2011 at 9:06 PM

It’s not about the hardware, it’s about how they configured their firmware to allow proper bootloader unlock.

18 DD March 31, 2011 at 9:08 PM

In another word, they screwed up their design for X10 and has no flexibility like they do for the new models…to get what everyone wants the engineering team would need to revamp the entire system for X10 which I doubt they want to invest money and time into right now

19 shukla April 1, 2011 at 5:00 AM

So the Bootloader has finally been cracked 😀
Here is your proof:

PARTAY!!!! Woohooo

20 Pak Ya April 1, 2011 at 5:23 AM
21 dominic April 1, 2011 at 9:41 AM
22 Eazy April 1, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Sony better hire some guys from XDA 😀

23 Tarek Ali April 1, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Sorry for being a noob, but what can you do now the bootloader is unlocked, or cracked?
Does it make the phone faster, because isnt rooting similar? i dont know, someone help me understand

24 Kristján April 1, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Well for my 2 cents, SE have decided to cancel their promise for a Xperia X10mini upgrade to 2.2 hence forfeiting my future business with them. I can’t afford to purchase new phones every year, I take good care of my phones and they usually last 3-5 years without any hazzle, although I do change phones every 2 years. Sorry SE, my next phone will very very likely be a SE unless you surprise me with a free upgrade from my X10mini to a newer model that supports Android 2.2 or better! I’m not asking for 3.0, 2.2 is enough for me

25 Hercules April 4, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Hehe, i kept my k700i seven(7) years 😀 and it still runs!!!! I was/am expecting to hold on to my eperia10 mini_pro for at least 4-5 😛

26 Hadji April 5, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Sony promissed anyone to update their phones?!? That’s some news.

27 Alex April 8, 2011 at 4:49 AM

> I never seen a company that care this much. They could easily say _fuck off_ like Crapple but no.
At one stage they did. I suspect their accountants noticed the backlash and decided it wasn’t worth fraking so many customers.

28 Nick April 11, 2011 at 11:48 AM

“SE has a strong reputation up until now of making their Android phones very difficult to brick and we imagine they want to continue this going forward.”

That’s hilarious. My last two SE phones (a K750 and a K810) were great until I used SE’s own update software (SEUS). Followed instructions, no apparent errors, bricked both phones.
Now SEUS is bricking Xperias, even the Arc.

The best way to guarantee the stability of SE devices would be to allow users to update them without using SEUS.

29 ant lover April 28, 2011 at 2:14 PM

how about adding ant+ support to the x10 ???

30 Charles July 12, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Nick, I agree with you totally.
I also updated my X10i, after receiving a message saying that an update was available, followed SE’s instructions, and landed with a bricked phone. Did a full backup, to SD card because I had a lot of work on spread sheets , photos, etc, which is useless.
Tried everything I possibly could, flashing, updating, even paid a “SE expert”. All he could tell me at the end, was “your phone is bricked”. What is beyond me, is that SE’s software caused the problem, contacted SE South Africa, and one of their consultants told me that I needed to recycle my phone.
I was happy with SE phones for the last 6 years with no problems, and would have told anyone that they were the best in the market. Have now become a Samsung Galaxy fan, hoping that after sales service will be better than SE’s.

31 Roby July 3, 2016 at 6:13 AM

Evenyore would benefit from reading this post