Android Market redesign now rolling out

by X10 on December 19, 2010

in Applications, News

Android MarketThe newest version of the Android Market which sports a redesign was announced last week and is now rolling out to handsets. We noticed the new market hit our Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 earlier this week, but it had a few bugs with icons part-missing. However, after clearing the cache and downloading a few more apps this morning the latest version seems to have downloaded and is working without a hitch.

The main change is the visual aspect, where the front end has been redesigned to include a carousel for promoted applications. Other changes include new widget/live wallpaper categories and single page app viewing (now including the download link). Another big change is that the app refund window has been reduced to 15 minutes from 24 hours. What is everyone’s verdict on the new Android Market? Seems like a worthwhile update to us.

1 x10 December 19, 2010 at 4:22 PM

agreed.. nice market UI as well

2 David :) December 19, 2010 at 4:23 PM

OLD Information … πŸ˜€
I allready have it ^^

3 Simon Royal December 19, 2010 at 4:25 PM

It looks kind of weird on my X10 Mini Pro. The install button is not quite there.

4 Chris December 19, 2010 at 4:27 PM

i love it !

5 John M December 19, 2010 at 4:34 PM

The Market didn’t update itself on my X10i. I still have the 2002013 version. I’m using the Nordic firmware from xda, used to upgrade to 2.1. Any idea on how to get the new Market?

6 Jan December 19, 2010 at 4:38 PM

just wait and you will get it πŸ™‚

7 udied1st December 19, 2010 at 4:40 PM

mine not update yet either…

8 x10 user December 19, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Man I am still having the old version if the android how to update please help

9 steve December 19, 2010 at 4:53 PM

yeah i like the new layout prefer it than the old one. noticed few days ago and is quite easier bit more faster as well

10 Stavros December 19, 2010 at 4:56 PM

be patient the update will come sooner or later. my daughter go it first on her x10 mini 3 days ahead of me (own an x10i rooted with universal rom davinci method)

11 fknpwned December 19, 2010 at 4:58 PM
12 SATYAJEET December 19, 2010 at 5:15 PM

THE UI IS TRULY GREAT. I THINK THIS UI IS SOMEWHAT LOOK LIKE SUSE INTERFACE.

13 syanide December 19, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Only 15 minutes? That will deter me from trying apps…will just quick to free ones.

14 zaryab December 19, 2010 at 5:28 PM

I just got the market updatee while i was reading this πŸ˜€
nycccc

15 Janus December 19, 2010 at 6:14 PM

I really like the Market update, it looks much more classy now.

However, there are a few things I don’t like as much.
– The Install (and Update All) button location – it may just be me, but I liked it better, when they were located in the bottom of the screen.
– The removal of the tabs. Again, this is just my personal opinion, but I liked the Comment tab and the Related tab. Having it all on one page just reminds me too much of the design of the version before the previous one (the one where you couldn’t update all at once)

That being said, it is still the coolest version so far.

16 poppa tooche December 19, 2010 at 6:18 PM

will this work on 1.6 as my phone still has the old os?

17 poppa tooche December 19, 2010 at 6:21 PM

just looked and it is there, i have mini x10.

18 faaak December 19, 2010 at 6:57 PM

My market stucks at ‘starting download’ after the update, help!?

19 dan December 19, 2010 at 7:20 PM

just delete the app market updates in settings to force an update. Also I can’t find the new widget tabs.

20 dan December 19, 2010 at 7:22 PM

sorry found the new tabs, strangely it wasn’t there yesterday.

21 FF December 19, 2010 at 8:31 PM

I don’t like the new version.
25-50% of my screen is the green banner. Why this large?
Just one screen with buttons for more information.
Not my cup of tea.

22 x10 warrior December 19, 2010 at 8:36 PM

really old info…
we for 5 days back..
But agree with the bugs.. we had it for 1 day.. It worked cool after that…

23 amber December 20, 2010 at 5:14 AM

tooo old news :O(

24 Kragom December 20, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Everybody who already knew there was a new version and already tried it, let’s write “old information”. It is clearly us and not the people who needs to know more that this is addressing. It also shows them how we value our time by writing this… πŸ˜‰

25 cat December 21, 2010 at 4:12 AM

Just got the new version today. All links are working, but to a greater extent just window-dressing.

26 Alex December 21, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Latest version on X10 mini leaves so little space for the actual programs. Half the screen just decoration with annoying spinning (random) programs top.

Old was much clearer and showed twice as many programs per page.

My fault for having a mini though i guess. πŸ™‚

27 Alex December 21, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Rolled back and reinstalled. Still super small “broken” text where its almost impossible to see the streetnames (and all other text). Also all the icons looks like they dont use Anti-Aliasing and thus are pixely and super small which results in icons that resembles some broken pixels. Very bad from google not to check this before releasing it.

Also no compass found.

Rolled back to previous build and can now see the text properly again. Waiting for the next update.

28 malinda December 22, 2010 at 10:08 AM

My x10 mini pro dont came with market application (UAE phone). If I install this, is it possable to download apps?

29 Mick January 19, 2011 at 1:47 AM

Hi, I know this might not be the right forum thread to post this in but the threads about rooting my phone seem quite old. If anyone can help I’d appreciate it. I have rooted my phone to get rid of all the apps I wasn’t using but I’ve managed to delete the google talk app. Market no longer works and as best I can tell it is because I deleted google talk. Is it possible to download the google talk app, I can’t find it on the google site (obviously can’t get it from the market) and don’t seem to be able to find it anywhere else. While looking for this app this seems to be a common enough problem and yet no straightforward solution? If anyone can help thanks in advance.