Xperia X10 bootloader bypassing no April Fools – first custom kernel released

by X10 on April 1, 2011

in Firmware, News

Sony EricssonThis morning we reported that the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10’s bootloader might have been cracked. We wasn’t sure given the number of hoax articles we’ve seen around the blogosphere today given that it is April Fools Day. Anyway, xda-developer zdzihu has confirmed that the Xperia X10 has indeed been cracked and that it was no April Fools joke.

More specifically he says the bootloader has been bypassed using the kexec/miniloader method, enabling you to boot custom kernels. He has released the first fully working custom kernel. He has been testing it for the last couple of days without any problems (not even a reboot). It looks like we will get access to a much wider range of custom ROMs for our X10 very soon!

Thanks Ztryfe!

1 manu April 1, 2011 at 9:24 PM

wow.awesome news!

2 Wasteland Wanderer April 1, 2011 at 9:24 PM

This is cool, by the time im done exploring the new features of the x10 my contract will ne up and i can move on, sweet. The phone that was dead up until very recently is suddenly the place to be

3 Majuro April 1, 2011 at 9:24 PM

excellent job!

4 manu April 1, 2011 at 9:25 PM

am i the only one to comment to THE MOST awaited thing for our x10?or am i dreaming????

5 mdintx April 1, 2011 at 9:27 PM

These are good days to be an X10 owner.

6 Nayef April 1, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Finally 😀
hopefully this will help crack the X10mini/pro kernel so we can get gingerbread, no thanks to SE
xda developers rock 😀

7 manu April 1, 2011 at 9:28 PM

bring the rain zdzihu…. u r d god of x10 users out here….thank you very much for your effort and support.

8 Andy April 1, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Awesome news but I think I’ll wait a week or so to see what rom’s come out. Might we find out that Sony has been lying about the X10 being dual touch only?

9 JJ April 1, 2011 at 9:45 PM

dont care anymore my xperia play kicks x10 ass lol

10 zaryab April 1, 2011 at 9:47 PM

……:D keeep gng xda
keeep sleeping SE

11 Dukez April 1, 2011 at 10:07 PM

W’hooooooooooooooooooooooo! …Whoop Whoop! …Oh yeaaaaa! …Get in there! …F’ing awesome!………. Mmm whats a bootloader?

12 Jay April 1, 2011 at 10:09 PM

This is gonna be SCHHHWEEEET !

13 Daniel April 1, 2011 at 10:13 PM

WOHOOOO,

That is the best news I have heard in a long time. Zhudzu pulls through even after he leaves 🙂

14 sexy x10 April 1, 2011 at 10:15 PM

omg!!!

15 Sliganslogan April 1, 2011 at 10:24 PM

OMG THIS IS INCREDIBLE I LOVE YOU ZDZIHU(not homosexual)

16 Adetolababs April 1, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Just got my X10. Pls wotz a bootloader. Wotz dis crack al abt. Nid help folks.

17 dejan April 1, 2011 at 11:42 PM

We told you not to cheat and to update all the x10 family and to open the bootloader.
You mean these are stupid so we will play with them ?
I wonder what will you do now ?
My advice is to update all phone xperia
it may be out of the mess that they themselves entered…….
Think about this AGAIN before u do something spupid…

18 Lweek April 2, 2011 at 12:51 AM

It is pretty cool news! Also second good news is that Google want push manufacturers to do not modify Android too much as they do now. My humble opinion is that SE overtuned their roms. Their launcher and Timescape are useless crap not to mention other goodies and even modified UI framework. This new Googles’ rule could mean that SE will have to drop some trash from their ROMs and maybe they will have more time to give promised support for all their products include X8 and X10 minis. Everybody see it. SE it is time to stop react as a hysterical little girl. Face it! You did it wrong. Now You can save a lot of good brand name by admit mistake and take an action to fix all problems. Unlockable bootloader on new devices and promiset GB for X10 are good start .. keep in course.

19 DFizz April 2, 2011 at 1:05 AM

My X10’s bought to get a new lease of life! Fair glad I didn’t buy that desire HD now:)

20 pak ya April 2, 2011 at 1:44 AM

Yeahh… it’s damn good!

21 Robert April 2, 2011 at 3:39 AM

This is great new for all X10 users! By the way, shouldn’t it be “We weren’t sure given the number of hoax articles we’ve seen around the blogosphere today given that it is April Fools Day” instead of “We wasn’t”? Just checking.

22 Bandit April 2, 2011 at 4:22 AM

Where is fact is fact hiding? LOL

Excellent news. There’s new life in my Craperia X10 now, maybe I’ll wait a little before I jump ship onto HTC.

23 Lovell April 2, 2011 at 4:48 AM

Great news….way to go XDA !

24 dee jay April 2, 2011 at 4:54 AM

what is significance of bootloader……..

25 Nicolas April 2, 2011 at 7:32 AM

I am speechless

26 Adetolababs April 2, 2011 at 8:00 AM

Just way confused right here. Can anybody just say something dat cld help abt dis boot loader, kernnel, ROM…

27 bob bob bob April 2, 2011 at 8:28 AM

great news and all but aside from the wide range of ROMS the x10 can now use.. whats really the benefit of having a open bootloader ??

28 rojdag April 2, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Lalaland not his usual chirpy self lol….

29 dyepnoodle April 2, 2011 at 9:09 AM

too bad for those people who sold their x10, LOL! XDA rocks! Z ur a freaking GOD!

30 DRuNKeN MaSTeR April 2, 2011 at 9:30 AM

@Lweek: that’s exactly what they’re doing now with the 2.3.3 release for the X10. See this post: http://blogs.sonyericsson.com/products/2011/03/25/update-on-xperia%E2%84%A2-x10/ under the paragraph: “Will any functionality from the previous software version disappear by doing this upgrade?”. They’re dropping Moxier and some other stuff… Finally.

The only bad thing is, it took them over a year to realize that this (and the open bootloader for the new models) is the way to go!

31 DRuNKeN MaSTeR April 2, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Oh, almost forgot: BIG THUMBS UP for Z! You’re the man!!! I guess you deserve the “Bootloader Bounty” which is quite a sum.

32 Camille April 2, 2011 at 10:01 AM

You really think it’s “too bad for the people who sold their X10” ? I read this many times.

Listen : official 2.2 will never come on the X10. Official 2.3 will come at the end of the year.

I’m bored of SE, i’m bored about their “NO”, “MAYBE”, “NO NO NO”, “hum, finally, YES !”. Who are we ? Is that a joke ? Man I can’t stand it ! Really.

I bought an other phone and I’m happy because finally I have a better phone, with updates (2.3 official) and I don’t feel the constructor sees me like a fool.

33 Melvile de Melo April 2, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Try getting the Arc Software ready for the X10. The Original Gingerbread with disable all additional capabilities. Hopefully if we can move the Arc software here we can do a lot more…

34 zaryab April 2, 2011 at 10:36 AM

I regret …
i sold x10 last month 🙁
go for arc is a stupidity nuthing elsee
if it was dual core ..then it makes sum sence otherwiseee ……completly waste of moneyy … when nw x10 can give u anythinggg

35 Asad Mulla April 2, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Guys I have the arc and its a really nice phone. Light, slim, Proper multi touch. When I use other peoples Iphone I loved the smoothness of the multi touch and the arc now feels better. And the camera, Well used it in low light and the Iphone (4 that is) was left behind. Iphone looked like somebody put a bin bag over the camera (X10 was the same as Iphone in low light) The Arc really is incredible in low light. Infact it was better in low light then my friends digital camera. if you think the arc is gonna be a bit pricy then Neo is gonna be a winner .

36 Tony April 2, 2011 at 11:11 AM

That’s great news! X10 is the best!

37 random person April 2, 2011 at 11:25 AM

happy for the news! and ummmm, @Asad Mulla how in the world will you get an arc ? its not even released yet ROFL

38 SteveK April 2, 2011 at 12:12 PM

@random person. in some countries the arc is launched and selling.

39 Topher April 2, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Arc and Neo isa already in the market. Xperia Play will be out end os this month. Just need some more comments about the Arc. If it is way better, then Arc will replace my x10.

40 Topher April 2, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Sorry! The Play and Arc were released and the Neo will be out end of April.

41 =NoXiouS= April 2, 2011 at 3:42 PM

@Bandit lol
@Z You rock! Keep up the good work, I’ll be clicking the buy beer button soon!
@others asking about bootloader http://tinyurl.com/3jt5x22
@X8&Mini users keep posting your complaint on every S.E. post you can everywhere, facebook, SE Blog, everywhere!

42 Fat Mother Fucker April 2, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Nobody cares about the boot loader. Sony make better roms than xda. The custom roms are fucking dreadful LoL

43 broadi April 2, 2011 at 5:44 PM

i agree wiv u i bet they wont still make better working rom than what we using now

44 rojdag April 2, 2011 at 11:27 PM

If nobody cares about bootloader why have se unllocking for their whole upcoming range?

45 Shukla April 3, 2011 at 4:58 AM

@ Fat Mother Fucker & Broadi

You guys are idiots lol. The bootloader enables a lot of shit like 60FPS, 16 M colours, overclocking, etc. Sony’s ROM cant do that. Also, it doesn’t really have anything to do with custom ROMs because you can put a custom bootloader on an official ROM. You guys really need to do some research before you comment because it just makes you look like an idiot.

46 villa07 April 3, 2011 at 8:04 AM

@Shukla

Agreed!

47 freman April 3, 2011 at 9:40 AM

@Shukla agreed too!

48 siva April 3, 2011 at 12:15 PM

@Shukla

You must start identifying trolls .. lol..
anyway i too agree with you

49 manu April 3, 2011 at 12:16 PM

@shukla well said.
@fat mother go die you se gays!

50 SATYAJEET PATIL April 3, 2011 at 2:07 PM

JUST A TERRIFIC NEWS.

51 dee jay April 3, 2011 at 2:38 PM

whais bootloader????? can anybody explain it??? plsssss

52 dee jay April 3, 2011 at 2:39 PM

what is bootloader???? can anybody explain it??? pls

53 =NoXiouS= April 3, 2011 at 5:03 PM

@dee jay click the link on my comment #41

54 eric April 3, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Note – tried this download – the bootscreen came up – Are you mad! – then it kept restarting… luckily I had a backup to restore… So April Fool… as far as I’m concerned – it is…

55 eric April 3, 2011 at 11:03 PM

The Bootloader… I’ll have a go at explaining…. note… I’m no expert but not a complete beginner either.
Android software is a version of Linux operating system for phones an Pads.
But to get it to work on a Phone or Pad there has to be device specific tweaks to get it to go.
SE had locked their Bootloader or Tweaking for whatever reason… legal issues… or something… they said which was bollocks but anyway… They didn’t want if to F up the sales of the ARC.
The guys who wanted to run the latest version on Android 2.2 and 2.3 on their phones could not because of this, so they came up with workaround custom Roms which they have been developing to work like the latest Android versions.
However the guys on XDA have been getting so close to the real thing and public support for SE had hit rock bottom… me included.
So to try get public support back on their side – they have let the developers open the Bootloader.
So it’s good news all round – the developers can now make better software for the phones and remove some restrictions the phones had built in.

56 wotekk April 4, 2011 at 8:43 AM

mine also is restarting 5-10 sec after the phone is booted, can somebody help?

57 Adey April 4, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Mmmm… Expect SE to be sending out their legal dogs to sue everyone in sight over this one…

58 Eazy April 4, 2011 at 11:17 AM

@ Shukla: I thought 16m colors and multi touch have something to do with the hardware?

59 DRuNKeN MaSTeR April 4, 2011 at 1:56 PM

@wotekk: this method is extremely new and untested. For the time being it can’t be used regularly. Only for testing purposes. The DEVs always need testers, who can tell them if the phone booted, how long it would stay, does the battery percent show… etc. So basically if you can help them, head on to XDA, otherwise please be patient until the problems are sorted out.