Now that the X10 mini is becoming widely available, many users are looking to debrand their handsets. Just in time, we have a debranding tutorial for the X10 mini that should help ease your woes.
The methodology in debranding the handset is essentially the same as that for the Xperia X10. However, we’ve still outlined the necessary steps below along with the UK Generic firmware. The Xperia X10 Blog absolves itself from any responsibility should anything happen to your handset, so please proceed with caution and at your own risk.
Tutorial on debranding your X10 mini
Please note: This tutorial is for X10i mini handsets only. Flashing your X10i mini to X10a mini (and vice versa) will result in SEUS not being able to update your phone for future updates.
1) Download and install the latest version of Sony Ericsson Update Service (found here).
2) Download the Generic UK X10 mini (E10i) firmware. The download contains two files (a 80MB one and a +10MB one).
3) Delete contents of db folder (C: –> Program Files –> Sony Ericsson –> Update Service –> db).
4) Run the Sony Ericsson Update Service (SEUS) to update your X10 mini
5) Go to C: –> Program Files –> Sony Ericsson –> Update Service –> db –> 13740270 –> blob_fs.
6) Sort files by date in descending order (latest date at top). The two files at the top will be 80MB and one around 12MB.
7) Backup these two original files into a different directory. This is an optional step but means you can revert back to the branded firmware if needed.
8 ) Now find the two files that you downloaded in Step 2. Rename the largest file with the same name as the top one in blob_fs. Do the same with the second.
9) IMPORTANT: Please read this step fully before executing it.
Run the Sony Ericsson Update Service (SEUS) again. It should say that you already have the latest update, click on the reinstall button anyway. The program will then start to re-download the same files. The trick here is to replace the files that are being re-downloaded with your new files from Step 8.
Open up Windows Explorer and navigate to the blob_fs folder. SEUS will first re-download the smaller (+10MB) file. Constantly monitor this folder to find out when the smaller (+10MB) file has been fully downloaded again. Once it has, immediately move your smaller file from Step 7 into the blob_fs folder and overwrite the file.
Now for the larger file. Keep an eye on the download progress bar in SEUS. Once the download is very near to completion you will need to copy the larger (+80MB) file from Step 7 into the blob_fs folder and overwrite the file. Time the file transfer for when there is literally around 1/2MB left to be downloaded.
If successful, the installation will carry on as normal. If not, try again. Don’t worry you will not brick your phone if it doesn’t work. It will simply tell you that the installation failed.
10) Voila! Your X10 mini is unbranded. 8)