Sony Ericsson Z1 (Playstation Phone) gets fondled in close-up detail

by X10 on December 3, 2010

in News, Video

Sony Ericsson Z1The last video we saw of the Playstation Phone (or Sony Ericsson Z1) was a blurry mess. However, we’ve now come across a much clearer video giving a detailed look at the new gaming handset from Sony Ericsson.

The phone is the same that we’ve seen pictures of previously. It has four hardware buttons on the front face and has a curved chassis resembling the Vivaz. The guy in the video opens and closes the sliding mechanism several times and it appears to relatively robust (there’s no sound in the video so it’s hard to get a sense of how much noise it makes). The contrast if the screen looks very good, which makes us think that an AMOLED display is being used.

The handset is a working prototype and it shows that it is running Android Gingerbread. When slid out you can clearly see the Playstation symbols on the buttons. The handset also has a couple of shoulder buttons (one of which no doubt acts as a camera shutter). There is a camera on the back and a LED flash (no Xenon here I’m afraid). The Z1 looks reasonably chunky but that’s to be expected given all its packing in. Check out the video below.

Update: Check out another video below that shows a very quick look at the Playstation app. You can also check out some sample shots of the Z1 on Picasa.

Thanks Oscar!

1 shaf December 3, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Awesome stuff, wonder when it will be announced

2 obasan December 3, 2010 at 10:58 PM

can’t wait for the battery specs

this would have been a better phone with a qwerty.

3 shaf December 3, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Thank god those idiots who always rant 1st & 2nd like nursery kids didn’t show up…

4 Zakura December 3, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Obasan what are you on? You can only play real games with dual analogue controls
Needs backward compatability and 2300-2600 mAh battery. 1500 will only last a day. Phat phone.

5 Has December 3, 2010 at 11:08 PM

At least running emulators wont be a hassle.

6 Oscar December 3, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Ie trUe ^_^. hopefully ill get one soon.

7 x19 December 3, 2010 at 11:28 PM

great stuff se

8 Shizumaru December 3, 2010 at 11:58 PM

Wow! Now I don’t know if get this one or the ANZU

9 sven256 December 4, 2010 at 12:08 AM

This phone needs to fail, although the sad thing is they will hype it up with the playstation name and it will not.

Sony need to be though a lesson on their update policy.

10 Ciel December 4, 2010 at 12:21 AM

where are my games? where is the analogue stick?

11 yasser December 4, 2010 at 12:41 AM

Awesome :) :) :) :)

12 yasser December 4, 2010 at 1:03 AM

@X10 BLOG Playstation Icon video :) :) :) :) :( :( :( NO GAMES YET

13 fact is fact December 4, 2010 at 3:52 AM

This is mind blowing !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you X10 !

How can they blame us for loving Sony ?! Is any other brand capable of building such thing, I guess not :D
Thats why it’s called : make.believe

And yes I do believe :P

14 Wyrmeth December 4, 2010 at 7:49 AM

Ciel December 4, 2010 at 12:21 AM
where are my games? where is the analogue stick?

This has dual analog touch pads this should make it compatible with the entire psp and ps1 catalog out of the box lets hope they will also get some ps2 games going on it i for one would love to have god of war or final fantasy 12 on my phone.

15 Lysol Pionex December 4, 2010 at 8:27 AM

*drool drool*
Did they say it had an 8MP camera?

Also, at 1:43, there’s a little notch on the edge; what is that?

16 mattz December 4, 2010 at 9:46 AM

this just makes me hate my X10 even more

17 Nils Westhoff December 4, 2010 at 3:02 PM

It looks fat…
and what do you think you can do with the buttons :S
X12 ANZU is way better! sleek design is where SE stands for (well actually sony ericsson but sleek design is there second name xD)

18 fact is fact December 4, 2010 at 5:41 PM

I love sony so much. I like to FAP to the SE logo while rubbing my x10 all over my body.

19 she shitter December 4, 2010 at 7:34 PM

@fact is fact
we know u will rub SE dick in your body as well… u gay

Ass hole..

get lost you m fucker creeping flirty fucking shit.

20 fact is fact December 4, 2010 at 7:49 PM

wtf, people keep pretending to be me and posting false comments. The truth is, I am gay, and yes I do have sex with my x10. However, people shouldnt jidge me just because I stick cell phones up my butt and wank it to pictures of xperia x10’s gang-banging playstations.

21 Stamp December 4, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Ohhhhh, buttons! Now it’s interesting.
There are still a few possible issues, like the price (i’m guessing scary high) and game park, but other than that, this might be a real contender for the whole mobile gaming market.
Sadly a small mistake and it could end like a Ngage revival….. let’s hope not, if only for the increased competition in the market.

22 Heykiii December 4, 2010 at 9:42 PM
23 Fact is fact December 4, 2010 at 11:14 PM

@bandit

You son of a bitch stop using my nickname
Remember the owner of this blog is watching you
The only one gay is you not me. I’m not the one bitching
Around se like you. If you don’t like se just scram
Sony is beyond your leauge anyway bitch :)

Why not be man enough and reveal your real nick, instead of using mine.

24 Adam December 4, 2010 at 11:25 PM

I think the only one gay is X10 because he needs to step up and control his blog! Being negative will just make people like Bandit, Zodiac make this place worse. It’s time to banned these garbage people because all they do is use other users nicknames and just keep bashing S/E

25 BigD December 5, 2010 at 1:17 AM

Looks big, but that’s to be expected.
-will it have Playstation Network as well?
-I hope they could have their own version of Android with UX, like the Xperia x10. it makes it stand out more compared to other Android devices. Or something like the XrossMediaBar.
-Will there be an additional Front-facing camera for video calling/ and video chatting with PS3 users?
-does the Led Flash Really Flash like a camera flash, or will just turns on/off?
-What is the screen size?
-What kind of battery? power usage? being a gaming device, they should have a big battery that can last at least 8 hours for all time usage.

26 draft_life December 5, 2010 at 1:53 AM

I’m boring to see Gingerbread or something on PSP Phone.
This is PSP isn’t this? Then SE should leak or show us to do Game.

27 dan December 5, 2010 at 7:56 AM

Yea owner of this blog could you look into banning some of the trolls, these guys add nothin but headaches.

I also doubt this being a amoled screen, taking a guess but I bet Sony would use its own super lcd screen before using amoled. Just makes more sense in that they themselves make that screen, and there being a shortage of amoled screens till q2 2011.

28 Ladan.. Mr. Bin Ladan December 5, 2010 at 5:10 PM

@fact is fact
I really love to hear u are a gay….. do u only have sex with ur x10???

Its fantastic.. SE will feel proud… they made a device that a gay can have sex with..
a multipurpose device .!!!!!!!!!! OMG.. SE is great..
Mr. fact is shit.. u really rOck my gay..

29 Fact is Fact December 6, 2010 at 2:45 AM

ill admit it, im so gay! I Wanna bum you all, fuck fuck fuck, ah yh

30 JO December 6, 2010 at 7:17 AM

First Icon – “Arena Olympus”

Could this be a “God Of War” spin off?? cool

31 Bandit December 6, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Poor fact is fact. LEAVE HIM ALONE. I SAID LEAVE HIM BE. HE’S BEEN THROUGH SO MUCH. HIS BELOVED X10 WILL SOON REACH EOL ONLY TO BE REPLACED BY ANOTHER OVERPRICED HEAP OF JUNK WITH SE LOGO ON IT.
Fact is fact is currently on suicide watch, doctors say he’s struggling with multiple personality disorder where in one life he’s married to his X10 and in the other sells HE-MAN action figures for a living.
Poor guy.

32 Bandit December 6, 2010 at 12:21 PM

…im actually Fact is Fact, im a sad low life with nothing else to do but play with my x10 which i fuck everyday with

33 Bandit December 6, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Fuck you X10 owners. I am the “Gaylord” of the “Xperia X10 Blog”. None of you can even come close to my faggotry. Did I tell you I traded my x10 for a HTC desire HD because it wasn’t wide enough to pleasure my ass. Now I’m in heaven with 4.3 inches of anal ripping bliss.

34 Jan December 6, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Kids..

35 zodiac December 6, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Adam, your comments are stupidly ridiculous. This is not a fanboy website. So stop attacking the moderators for not filtering criticism and negative comments. I have never and will never encourage using other peoples nicknames to post obscene comments but I have to remind everyone that it was the x10 fanboys who started that childish nonsense. So many of them have done the same using my handle and I know they have done the same too to Bandit. Now I guess they are just receiving in kind what they themselves started.
It’s regrettable that it’s happening. Fellas lets keep the debate above a certain line… don’t stoop to the level of the fanboys.
Now back to the Playstation phone, it’s really for the sort of folks who own PSPs (under 25s). I can’t really see anyone else wanting this phone. Having said that.. it’s not a bad looking device…much more promising the the flipping ANZU which looks to be yet another one to join the long list of over priced sub standard high end phones from SE.
All in all, I will not be opting for SE when my contract expires. The choice will be between Samsung or HTC when the time comes. I have had enough of their crap and as if to rub salt onto injury, Hauwei have released a £99 phone with froyo out of the box. Now that’s food for thought when you consider how much the x10 cost.

36 x10 warrior December 6, 2010 at 7:47 PM